Sunday, December 21, 2008

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

I have been wanting to do a special family night for Christmas, but just haven't been able to find anything that seemed just perfect. Also, Byron just finished finals late last week and let's face it, family nights when I'm on my own just don't really end up being very spiritual. Since this week is busy with other family happenings, I decided tonight would be a perfect night to pull off the special evening I have been wanting. Although it wasn't perfect, I was so happy with how the night went and I hope some memories will be kept of what could be a new family tradition.

felafelbaklava


I decided to make some (somewhat) authentic mideastern food for the occasion. Felafel and baklava are the only things that came to mind, so I found some recipes and decided to give it a try. I knew it was risky, but I was so happy that everyone seemed to like all the food that went along with our evening. I made some homemade felafel and we ate it in pitas with a yummy cucumber dill sauce. The entire pan of baklava has already been polished off, so I say that means good reviews there too. Of course, how can you go wrong with a pastry layered with butter and nuts and topped with sugar and honey! It was divine! After dinner we did a little program where Byron and I were the wise men and we told some stories and sang some Christmas songs together. We watched the Luke II movie while eating our dessert and called it a night. I know the rest of the week will be fun and busy, but I hope that tonight set the tone for a special and meaningful Christmas for our kids.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

3 comments:

linda said...

What a great new tradition and I think you and Byron look very wise.

Marissa Marie said...

What exactly is felafel? The baklava looks yummy, and I like your hats. :)

Cyn said...

I need recipes!!!